Pete’s Paleo Petshop is set in a world where you can visit the shop to meet your very own prehistoric friend. At the moment time has stopped in the Jurassic period, the “golden age” of the dinosaurs, but this is only the beginning. Over time we’ll explore every period of Earth’s history, and meet all sorts of cool critters- even plants and bacteria are amazing if you take a closer look!
The first picture book will look through the eyes of 4-year-old Danny as he goes to the pet shop with his family. They’re looking for a pet that’s small and quiet- hard to find in an age of giants! But picture books are harder to make than you’d think, especially since I want to do it right. So we’ll get to explore the world, meet the characters, and have other adventures (like short stories) while I work on writing and illustrating the book. 🙂
As a reader, I’ve always loved diving into the world. I was (and still am) a huge fan of Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. I was the sort of girl who memorized all the spells in Harry’s spell book, tried learning Elvish, and pinched my ears in the hopes they might get just a tiny bit more pointy on the ends. 😛 True story.
I fell in love with the worlds between the pages, and I wanted more of that. I’d like to give you that same experience. (Ok, I kinda wish I had my own pet dinosaur too.)
I have so many ideas for exploring the world!
- Interviews with Pete & the critters
- Adventures at the shop with Pete & the critters
- Pamphlets and flyers from the shop to answer important questions on prehistoric animal care. Just like in a real pet shop 🙂
- Pete’s Postcards from the shop. Get a peak into Pete’s mailbox and his weekly tips on handling your prehistoric pet. This way you won’t miss any new posts, and you’ll get a look behind-the-scenes as I work on the book.
- And more! I have lots of ideas, but this list is a good start. Of course, I’d love to know what you want. 🙂
It’s always great to learn something while we’re having a little fun. So the blog will be a place we can chit chat a couple times a week about anything prehistoric or artistic. But just so I don’t get too carried away, here’s the jist of what I’ll be sharing with you.
- Learn about prehistoric critters, and why do they matter anyway?
- Practice art techniques, especially as they relate to paleoart.
- Cool stuff I find in my research.
- Updates on my process and (hopefully) progress as I work to success!
- Reviews on books or other things that I use and love. They help inspire me and help me do what I do. And if it’s something you would like too, then all the more reason to spread the love. 🙂
That about sums it up. But really, I just want to create a little something that will brighten your day. There’s plenty enough darkness and despair in the world, and life is too short and precious to dwell on it. I’m not saying to ignore it entirely, but why not take joy in the beauty of life!
What do you like about dinosaurs and art? What would you like to talk about? Let me know in the comments! I’d love to here from you. 🙂
4 thoughts on “Setting up Expectations”
Great! It sounds like you are off to a strong start! I’ll keep on following with interest, and I’ll be sure to give you more feedback on all the interactive stuff you have planned.
Thank you! Feedback is awesome 😀
Ooh, looking forward to all the new updates! Also, I like the new favicon. It’s simple but nice. 🙂
Thank you! I’m excited too 😀
I’m glad you like the favicon. I have different one I want to experiment with too, but I like how simple this one is. 🙂